'Personal Information' is defined in section (3) below.
At Teach First, we care about the confidentiality and security of your Personal Information. We will make all commercially reasonable efforts to keep your Personal Information secure in compliance with this Policy.
This Policy only applies to information that we collect through the courses-teachfirst.proversity.org Website (the 'Site,' which consists of all content and pages located within the courses-teachfirst.proversity.org (domain) and does not apply to information that we may collect from you in other ways (for example, this policy does not apply to information that you may provide to us over the phone, by fax or through conventional mail).
1. Usernames And Postings
Comments or other information posted by you to our forums, wikis or other areas of the Site designed for public communications or communications among registered class members may be viewed and downloaded by others who visit the Site.
For this reason, we encourage you to use discretion when deciding whether to post any information that can be used to identify you to those forums (or other public or classwide areas).
2. Consent To Processing Outside Home Country
By using our Site, or providing information to Teach First, you understand and unambiguously consent to the collection, use, disclosure and retention of information in the United Kingdom and other countries and territories, for the purposes set forth in this Policy and the Teach First Terms of Service.
You hereby consent to the collection, use, disclosure and retention by Teach First of your Personal Information as described under this Policy, including but not limited to the transfer of your personal data between Teach First and the third parties, affiliates and subsidiaries described in this Policy.
For further certainty, any consent relating to a right to transfer information referred to in this paragraph shall be deemed to include your consent to the transfer of the applicable Personal Information to a jurisdiction which may provide a different level of privacy protection than that available in your own country.
If you do not agree with these terms, then please do not access, browse, or register for the Site. If you choose not to provide us with certain information required to provide you with various services offered on our Site, you may not be able to establish a user account and we may not be able to provide you with those services.
3. Personal Information
As used in this Policy, 'Personal Information' means any information about yourself that you may provide to us when using the Site, such as when you sign up for a user account or enter into a transaction through the Site, which may include (but is not limited to) your name, contact information, gender, date of birth and work experience.
We endeavor to limit the collection of Personal Information to what we need with respect to specific Site activities in order to satisfy business, legal or regulatory requirements.
4. Information We Collect And How We Use It
We collect information, including Personal Information (described above), when you sign up for a user account, participate in online courses, send us email messages and/or participate in our public forums. We also collect certain usage information about student performance and patterns of learning. In addition, we track information indicating, among other things, which pages of our Site were visited, the order in which they were visited, when they were visited and which hyperlinks and other user interface controls were used.
We may log the IP address, operating system and browser software used by each user of the Site, and we may be able to determine from an IP address a user's Internet Service Provider and the geographic location of his or her point of connectivity. Various web analytics tools are used to collect this information. Some of the information is collected through cookies (small text files placed on your computer that store information about you, which can be accessed by the Site). You should be able to control how and whether cookies will be accepted by your web browser. Most browsers offer instructions on how to reset the browser to reject cookies in the 'Help' section of the toolbar. If you reject our cookies, many functions and conveniences of this Site may not work properly.
5. Use And Disclosure To Third Parties
Among other things, we and the educational institutions that provide courses through Teach First (the 'Employers') may use the information about you collected through the Site (including your Personal Information) in connection with the following. In cases where we share or disclose your Personal Information: (1) the third party recipients are required to handle the Personal Information in a confidential manner and to maintain adequate security to protect the information from loss, misuse, unauthorized access or disclosure, alteration, and destruction; and (2) we will only disclose and share the Personal Information that is required by the third party to fulfill the purpose stated at the time of collection.
- To enable the employers to assess your To enable the employers to provide, administer and improve the courses
- To help us and the employers improve Teach First offerings, both individually (e.g., by course staff when working with a student) and in aggregate, and to individualize the experience and to evaluate the access and use of the Site and the impact of Teach First on the worldwide educational community.
- For purposes of scientific research, particularly, for example, in the areas of cognitive science and education.
- For the purpose for which you specifically provided the information, for example, to respond to a specific inquiry or provide you with access to the specific course content and/or services you select.
- To track both individual and aggregate attendance, progress and completion of an online course, and to analyze statistics on student performance and how students learn.
- To monitor and detect violations of the Honor Code, the Terms of Service, as well as other misuses and potential misuses of the Site.
- To publish information, but not Personal Information, gathered about Teach First access, use, impact and student performance.
- To send you updates about online courses offered by Teach First or other events, to send you communications about products or services of Teach First, Teach First affiliates, or selected business partners that may be of interest to you, or to send you email messages about Site maintenance or updates.
- To archive this information and/or use it for future communications with you.
- To maintain and improve the functioning and security of the Site and our software, systems and network.
- For purposes described elsewhere in this Policy (including, e.g., Sharing with Third Parties).
- As otherwise described to you at the point of collection, pursuant to your consent, or as otherwise permitted by law.
- To authenticate your identity when you register for a paid certificate.
- To process refunds, as applicable.
We will share information we collect with the employers, and we and the employers may share this information (including Personal Information) with third parties as follows:
- With service providers or contractors that perform certain functions on our or the employers' behalf, including processing information that you provide to us on the Site, processing purchases via third party providers, and other transactions through the Site, operating the Site or portions of it, providing or administering courses, or in connection with other aspects of Teach First or University services.
- With other visitors to the Site, to the extent that you submit comments, course work or other information or content (collectively, 'Postings') to a portion of the Site designed for public communications; and with other members of an Teach First class of which you are a member, to the extent you submit Postings to a portion of the Site designed for viewing by those class members. We may provide your Postings to students who later enroll in the same classes as you, within the context of the forums, the courseware or otherwise. If we do re-post your Postings originally made to non-public portions of the Site, we will post them without your real name and e-mail (except with your express permission), but we may use your username without your consent.
- For purposes of scientific research, particularly, for example, in the areas of cognitive science and education. However, we will only share Personal Information about you for this purpose to the extent doing so complies with applicable law and is limited to the Personal Information required to fulfill the purposes stated at the time of collection.
- To provide opportunities for you to communicate with other users who may have similar interests or educational goals. For instance, we may recommend specific study partners or connect potential student mentees and mentors. In such cases, we may use all information collected about you to determine who might be interested in communicating with you, but we will only provide other users your username, and not disclose your real name or e-mail address to your contact.
- To respond to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process; in response to a request for cooperation from law enforcement or another government agency; to investigate, prevent or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, security or technical issues, or to enforce our Terms of Service, Honor Code or this Policy; as otherwise may be required by applicable law; or to protect our rights, property or safety or those of others.
- With affiliates of Teach First or the employers, or with successors in the event of a merger, acquisition or reorganization, for their use consistent with this Policy.
- As otherwise described to you at the point of collection, pursuant to your consent, or otherwise as permitted by law (e.g., disclosures permitted under FERPA, to the extent FERPA applies to the information).
- For integration with third party services. For example, videos and other content may be hosted on YouTube and other websites not controlled by Teach First.
Teach First also acts as, among other things, venues for employers to post job opportunities and search for and evaluate job candidates and candidates to post CVs and Profiles and search for and evaluate job opportunities.
Teach First does not screen or censor the listings, including Profiles offered. Teach First is not involved in the actual transaction between employers and candidates. As a result, Teach First is not responsible for User Content, the quality, safety or legality of the jobs or CVs posted, the truth or accuracy of the listings, the ability of employers to offer job opportunities to candidates or the ability of candidates to fill job openings and Teach First makes no representations about any jobs, CVs or User Content on Teach First
While Teach First reserves the right in its sole discretion to remove User Content, job postings, CVs or other material from Teach First from time to time, Teach First does not assume any obligation to do so and to the fullest extent permitted by law, disclaims any liability for failing to take any such action.
Note that there are risks, including but not limited to the risk of physical harm, of dealing with strangers, underage persons or people acting under false pretenses. You assume all risks associated with dealing with other users with whom you come in contact through Teach First
By its very nature other people's information may be offensive, harmful or inaccurate, and in some cases will be mislabeled or deceptively labeled. We expect that You will use caution and common sense when using the Teach First
Because learner authentication on the Internet is difficult, Teach First cannot and does not confirm that each User is who they claim to be.
Because we do not and cannot be involved in learner to learner dealings or control the behavior of participants on Teach First, in the event that You have a dispute with one or more learners, you release Teach First (and our agents and employees) from claims, demands and damages (actual and consequential and direct and indirect) of every kind and nature, known and unknown, suspected and unsuspected, disclosed and undisclosed, arising out of or in any way connected with such disputes to the fullest extent permitted by law.
The Teach First Sites and the Teach First Content may contain inaccuracies or typographical errors. Teach First makes no representations about the accuracy, reliability, completeness, or timeliness of any Teach First Site or the Teach First Content.
Teach First encourages You to keep a back-up copy of any of Your User Content. To the extent permitted by law, in no event shall Teach First be liable for the deletion, loss, or unauthorized modification of any learner content.
Teach First does not provide or make any representation as to the quality or nature of any of the third party products or services purchased through any Teach First Site, or any other representation, warranty or guaranty. Any such undertaking, representation, warranty or guaranty would be furnished solely by the provider of such third party products or services, under the terms agreed to by the provider.
In addition, we may share aggregated information that does not personally identify you with the public and with third parties, including but not limited to researchers and business partners.
6. Use For Personalization And Pedagogical Improvements
Our goal is to provide current and future visitors with the best possible educational experience. To further this goal, we sometimes present different users with different versions of course materials and software. We do this to personalize the experience to the individual learner (assess the learner's level of ability and learning style, and present materials best suited to the learner), to evaluate the effectiveness of our course materials, to improve our understanding of the learning process and to otherwise improve the effectiveness of our offerings. We may publish or otherwise publicize results from this process, but, unless otherwise permitted under this Policy, those publications or public disclosures will not include Personal Information.
7. Links To Other Websites
The Site contains links to websites published by third parties, including other content providers as well as certain service providers, such as those who process payments on behalf of Teach First. These other websites are not under our control, and you acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible for the collection and use of your information by such websites, unless we have otherwise indicated in this Policy. We encourage you to be aware when you are be redirected to a third party website and review the privacy policies of each website you visit and use.
Teach First has a program designed to protect Personal Information in its possession or control. This is done through a variety of privacy and security policies, processes and procedures, including administrative, physical, and technical safeguards that reasonably and appropriately protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the Personal Information that it creates, receives, maintains, or transmits. Nonetheless, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure; and therefore, Teach First cannot guarantee its absolute security.
9. Changing Our Policy
Please note that we review and may make changes to this Policy from time to time. When changes are made, the Policy link will include a notation 'Revised (date).' indicating that you should review the new terms, which will be effective immediately upon posting on this page, with an updated effective date. The notation will be included in the Policy link for at least seven (7) days after the update has been made. By accessing the Site after any changes have been made, you signify your agreement on a prospective basis to the modified Policy and any changes contained therein. In case you miss the notification referenced above, be sure to return to this page periodically to ensure familiarity with the most current version of this Policy.
Our Site is not intended for use by individuals under the age of 15, and Teach First does not knowingly collect personal data from those in this age group. If we become aware that someone under the age of 15 has registered, we will expunge any related Personal Information from our records.
11. Privacy Concerns
If you have privacy concerns, have disclosed data you would prefer to keep private, or would like to access the information we maintain about you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org